Perl question

Kevin Buettner plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue May 22 15:08:01 2001

On May 23, 11:42pm, Carl Parrish wrote:

> Thanks everyone. Man I've learned a *lot* about system time in the last
> two days.  $ENV{TZ} ended up working for me. Except that there is no
> US/Eastern zoneinfo file on the freeBSD servers I set this up on. So on
> those I ended up using America/New_York. However there is no
> America/New_York files on the Linux boxes.

Eh?

On my Red Hat 7 box, I see:

saguaro:kev$ ls /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York
/usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York

I've just checked my Red Hat 6.2 and 7.1 boxes and this file exists on
those boxes too.

> [...] But I don't know how NetBSD, OpenBSD,
> Solaris and other versions of Linux will look like. Is there some source
> I can go to to find a standard set of zoneinfo files?

ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/tzcode2001b.tar.gz
ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/tzdata2001b.tar.gz

In particular, see the file "northamerica" located in the latter
archive.  (This file contains the set of rules for constructing the
zoneinfo database.)

> Or if not just a listing of zoneinfo files on different *nix boxes?

find /usr/share/zoneinfo -print