Learning kernel internals: compiling, modules, file systems

David A. Sinck plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue Jun 5 04:43:01 2001

\_ SMTP quoth Alan Dayley on 6/5/2001 23:55 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ OK, moving my employer to Linux is not going to happen unless I push it.  The
\_ best way to push is to do it.  First I must learn it.
\_
\_ I am asking for the best references on:
\_ 1 - compiling the 2.4.x kernel and all it's options
\_ 2 - coding drivers and when to compile them in the kernel or load them as
\_ modules
\_ 3 - the available file systems, how they work, how to install and use them,
\_ particularly journaling FS's and devfs.
\_
\_ My goal is to take a C language, DOS and 16-bit SCSI ASPI based testing
\_ application and port it to Linux.  I will worry about the UI choice (TCL?,
\_ wxWindows? etc.) later.  I first need to understand the file and SCSI
\_ subsystems, how to use them and determine if I need to create my own driver
\_ or if existing drivers can serve my needs.

Look into the generic scsi driver (sg.o), it may have the magic you
need.  Depending on the actual adapter, there may be extensive tools
around to decode the traffic/instructions.

David