Using Kylix (for the first time)...

Furmanek, Greg plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed Jul 25 06:23:01 2001

<SNIP>

> I tend to recommend learning C and the mechanics of the
> language before
> learning C++, especially under UNIX.  With C, you can do most
> of everything
> that you'd want to do for UNIX and Linux.
>
> I've often thought of writing a decent learning C book, but
> there are so
> many out there that it is a tough sell to publishers.  To me,
> the books on C
> are not the way to teach beginners to programming.

I have to agree with you.  I have seen a lot of instructions and books
that do not represent the easiest approach to learining of this language.

> The basics of
> programming are in understanding data types and how important
> it is that we
> manipulate them effectively.  Learning C is a good way to get started
> without all of the complexities of C++.  Remember that C++ is a vast
> superset of C, so it is nearly infinitely more involving.

I think there is way more to C++ then just it's complexity.
The design approach is drastically different.  From what I have
seen most of the C++ books teach C with C++ constructs but do not
teach the OOD which is the whole idea behind C++.

> I'd by the first
> book and just start going through it, typing in line-by-line
> everything in
> it.  By the time you get through the first couple of chapters, you'll
> probably be exploring things that aren't mentioned in the
> book--or if they
> are mentioned, later in the book.
>
> Most basic "learning C" books start out teaching about the
> pre-processing,
> compilation and linking then jump into a "simple program"
> then explain the
> program and then jump into basic data types and then
> functions and then
> complex data types then pointers, file I/O, memory
> management, etc.  My
> "introduction to C" would start with explaining why we need
> places for data
> and ways to manipulate the data.

I would be interested in contributing to a good C book if you ever want to
wrtie one.  There is all too many junky books on C.  Most of them will
teach you syntax of C but not many will show you the ideas on designs and
organization of data and functions.  They expect you come up with this on
your own....  figures.

> Too many books (IMHO) start
> by telling you
> more of how to do it then why it is necessary.  What happens from this
> "bass-ackward" (to me) approach is that you have to learn how to do
> something before you understand why it is necessary.  That is
> like telling
> someone; well, you cut a board in half, nail the two halves together
> then...after it starts looking like a _fill-in-the-blank_ oh,
> and by the
> way, you can use it for...the, now obvious reason...and
> rarely for other
> reasons that are less obvious.  I find that by explaining the WHY to
> someone, it opens up all sorts of possibilities and people
> quit thinking of
> every thing as a nail simply because they have a hammer in
> their toolbox.
>
> Take Care.
>
> Rob!

Rob you are making excelent points here.  When are you strarting the
book????

Greg

"The sender believes that this E-mail and any attachments were free of any
virus, worm, Trojan horse, and/or malicious code when sent.  This message
and its attachments could have been infected during transmission.  By
reading the message and opening any attachments, the recipient accepts full
responsibility for taking protective and remedial action about viruses and
other defects.  The sender's employer is not liable for any loss or damage
arising in any way from this message or its attachments."