C++ OOP Tutorials?

Carl Parrish plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun Jul 15 09:49:01 2001

Rob Wehrli wrote:

>Carl Parrish wrote:
>
>>How about this one.
>>http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCScpp/
>>
>>Rob Wehrli wrote:

>Carl,
>
>Not to be overly critical, but there really isn't any OOP in the link
>you provided.  It is more of an attempt at a "C++ Mechanics Guide"
>rather than an OO piece using C++.  I'd be a bit concerned about the
>value of an "OO" tutorial that didn't discuss polymorphism, inheritance
>and encapsulation along with abstraction, which the CS link above has
>this to say (generally) about abstraction:

Wow Rob,
Thanks for the lengthy response. I agree with most of your issues.
(perhaps one day I'll have time to reponse to the use of "iteration" and
operators.)  However I do agree that "How to think...." is more about
the language than in OOP pratices. Though I do think its a great intro
to those concepts. I've found that after someone has read "How to
think...." I can then hand them "Structure and Interpretation of
Computer Programs" by Harold Abelson (found at
http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/) and they can understand it. While if I
just give them "Structure....." they become lost. Not knowing where Kit
fits (and the fact that most of my links for OOP are in Java, as opposed
to most of my books being in C++), That's the one I gave. For anyone
looking for a deeper understanding of OOP I recommend sicp although its
in SCHEMA not C++.

Carl P.