update please

Derek Neighbors plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu Dec 13 14:44:01 2001

> That's the task break down the way I see it now. My suggestions would be
> that we just throw a PHP tool together with MySQL on the back end. That

First I wouldnt use MySQL for such things, but thats just me.

> would be the fastest way with the thought that we're going to have to
> redo it so that we can use mulitlpe GUIs later. I think we should use
> SAX and XML for the content (not in the first iteration). it will give
> us more flexiblity.  Templates on the web GUI will make it easier for
> more schools to use it. If we are going to use the login format we need

I urge you to look at GNU Enterprise here, we support GTK, Motif, Curses,
HTML, Mac and Win32 off a single XML file and all data binding is handled
automatically, we support about 15 different dbdrivers as well.

> a way to look up lost passwds. But I think we only need the five teams I
> already talked about to start and get something useful out the door. I'd
> like to do it in Python (since I'm trying to learn it better). and since

Most of GNUe is in Python, if you dont think GNUe is write for you but use
Python I urge you to check out gnue-common at least, it will give you all
the db driver abstraction classes, parsers, validators etc as python
modules.

-d