syslog to app

sinck@ugive.com sinck@ugive.com
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 08:17:21 -0700

\_ I need to capture output from syslog into an application. I need that app
\_ to catch *all* of the output from a particular service.
\_
\_ I have found that something that watches /var/log/whatever stops working
\_ when the logs get rotated. Not a good thing. Maybe there's a way to do
\_ that right. I'd rather not have to tie something into the syslog rotation
\_ functionality as keeping the activities synced is probably a pain long
\_ term.

Try watching the inode and seeing if it changes, then readdir to grab
the old and new file names.  (Old for guaranteeing you got all the
input, new for, well, you guessed it....)

David