ANNOUNCING - PLUG's new Security Focused Meeting - First Meeting March 14th

PLUG Announcements plug-announce at lists.phxlinux.org
Fri Mar 10 23:19:39 MST 2017

  *PLUG is pleased to announce*

  Our new, free, Security focused meeting.

For more info, Meeting time and location see:
http://phxlinux.org/index.php/meetings/20-plug-security.html
On the2nd Tuesday of every month, starting at 7pm, at the Desert Breeze
Substation located in Chandler, AZ (Same location as the regular PLUG
meeting), we will be holding cyber security focused courses for the public.

You are invited to attend this event if you are interested in cyber
security and wish to have an opportunity to learn about digital security
as well as related hardware and software.

*In this first class*we will be discussing the modern hacker, tools
used, and their work flow. Topics covered will include probing,
reconnaissance, and the software and tools used when inspecting a
network for potential attack. Participants are encouraged to bring their
Linux laptop or a copy of virtualbox + Linux OS as some aspects of the
presentation will be hands on.
Tools covered include:
nmap
masscan
whois
ping
and more

*Your Instructor:*
Aaron is an experienced Linux user with several years of teaching
experience. He works in the industry as a software developer while also
providing consultancy on cyber security related topics.His discussions
are AZ Post certified for training credit for law enforcementand he
prides himself on providing quality educational material that is
relevant and topical. He has a Masters Degree in Intelligence Analysis
with a focus in Cyber Security, is a life long learner, and prides
himself on staying up to date with the ever changing field of cyber
security.
The meeting will start at 7pm at The Desert Breeze Substation.  People
start arriving as early as 6pm, so if you would like to help setup
and/or chat for a while, arrive a little early.
*Meeting Location*:
Desert Breeze Substation
251 North Desert Breeze Blvd
Chandler, AZ 85226

The Desert Breeze Substation is on Chandler Blvd and Desert Breeze Blvd,
which is half way between McClintock and Rural.  It is very close
to both the south 202 and 101 freeways.  Public transportation is
available into the late hours.
	<https://www.google.com/maps/place/251+Desert+Breeze+Blvd+W,+Chandler,+AZ+85226/@33.3076899,-111.9220921,17z/data=%214m5%213m4%211s0x872b06cdd50c43c7:0x7d3e9c66bdb7f8a2%218m2%213d33.3070191%214d-111.9193025?hl=en>

See the meeting information on our web site
<http://phxlinux.org/index.php/meetings/20-plug-security.html> for more
information.

See you there,
Brian Cluff