PLUG's Security Meeting - April 11th (Tomorrow)

PLUG Announcements plug-announce at lists.phxlinux.org
Mon Apr 10 08:43:33 MST 2017

  *PLUG *Security meeting.

On the2nd Tuesday of every month, starting at 7pm, at the Desert Breeze
Substation located in Chandler, AZ (Same location as the regular PLUG
meeting), we will be holding cyber security focused courses for the public.

In this meeting we will learn about Virtual Private Networks, Proxies,
and Tor. We will be discussing new developments on who can sell your
data, how that data is gathered, and what these tools can do for you.
Traffic obfuscation is not a silver bullet for anonymization. This two
hour meeting will focus on providing a simplified and easy to follow
explanation of online privacy, the technologies involved in masking or
revealing users, and what a VPN or Tor can do for you.

* Any discussion of paid services or software will be done for
educational purposes only. Neither the instructor, PLUG, or any one
involved in this course endorses any paid services or products discussed
at this meeting.
*
Your Instructor:*
Aaron is an experienced Linux user with several years of teaching
experience. He works in the industry as a software developer while also
providing consultancy on cyber security related topics.His discussions
are AZ Post certified for training credit for law enforcementand he
prides himself on providing quality educational material that is
relevant and topical. He has a Masters Degree in Intelligence Analysis
with a focus in Cyber Security, is a life long learner, and prides
himself on staying up to date with the ever changing field of cyber
security.
The meeting will start at 7pm at The Desert Breeze Substation.  People
start arriving as early as 6pm, so if you would like to help setup
and/or chat for a while, arrive a little early.
*Meeting Location*:
Desert Breeze Substation
251 North Desert Breeze Blvd
Chandler, AZ 85226

The Desert Breeze Substation is on Chandler Blvd and Desert Breeze Blvd,
which is half way between McClintock and Rural.  It is very close
to both the south 202 and 101 freeways.  Public transportation is
available into the late hours.
	<https://www.google.com/maps/place/251+Desert+Breeze+Blvd+W,+Chandler,+AZ+85226/@33.3076899,-111.9220921,17z/data=%214m5%213m4%211s0x872b06cdd50c43c7:0x7d3e9c66bdb7f8a2%218m2%213d33.3070191%214d-111.9193025?hl=en>

See the meeting information on our web site
<http://phxlinux.org/index.php/meetings/20-plug-security.html> for more
information.

See you there,
Brian Cluff