PLUG Meeting Sept 8th-Someone else's Problem (Cloud)

PLUG Announcements plug-announce at lists.phxlinux.org
Wed Aug 31 09:13:10 MST 2016

  PLUG Meeting September 8th

This month's theme is Someone Else's Problem, so we'll be covering the
cloud.

With in mind we will bring you 3 presentations this month: *Intro to
OpenStack*, *Dynamic HA Deployments with HashiCorp Tools*and *Eddystone
Bluetooth Beacons Intro
*

*Billy Olsen: Intro to OpenStack*

*Description*: Let's take a stroll through the OpenStack Zoo and visit
what it is, how its put together, and how it can be used to provide
services. We'll explore the core components, some of the non-core
components, and what the big tent is.
We'll look at some of the ways that OpenStack can be deployed and
managed and how to contribute to the world of OpenStack.

*Bio*: Billy discovered Linux during his days in college, where he ran
Redhat, SuSE, Debian, Mandrake, Gentoo, Lindows, and some other obscure
Linux distributions (and even some *nix systems). Having used Linux as
his main system for years, he eventually got the opportunity to work
with this thing called OpenStack which he developed a pure love/hate
relationship with. Since then, he's switched companies to make sure he
can focus on working on OpenStack, clouds, and FOSS.

When he is not on the computer, he enjoys spending time with his family
- which involves lots and lots of Legos and model rockets.

*Anthony Kosednar: Dynamic HA Deployments with HashiCorp Tools*

*Description*: An overview of HashiCorp's opensource tool set and how to
get started on using it yourself.

Will Cover:

  * Image Creation
  * Deployments (Computing, Infrastructure, & Storage
  * Cluster Management
  * Secret/Credentials/PKI Management

*Bio*: Anthony Kosednar is an Information Security Engineer with a
background in Aerospace. By day he helps secure corporations and large
events (such as Super Bowl XLIX). By night, he puts on the cape of
software architect for the Arizona Cyber Warfare Range. Through the
darkness of night he helps program the systems that operate the range.

*Ed Nicholson: Eddystone Bluetooth Beacons Intro*

*Description*: A brief introduction to and demonstration of BLE Beacons
based on the open (!free) Eddystone protocols from Google. While many
IoT and Beacon vendors provide proprietary management portals, there is
a free (BSD-3) management application in development in addition to
libraries and beacon scanners.

*Bio*: I have been involved with Free Software for some time, and am
most interested in how people, organizations and populations use, create
and experience information. Recently, I am enjoying The Prescott
National Forest as my "personal office" and The Valley of The Sun as a
home away from home. Personal systems run either Fedora, CoreOS, Android
or OpenBSD
The meeting will start at 7pm at The Desert Breeze Substation.  People
start arriving as early as 6pm, so if you would like to help setup
and/or chat for a while, arrive a little early.
*Meeting Location*:
Desert Breeze Substation
251 North Desert Breeze Blvd
Chandler, AZ 85226

The Desert Breeze Substation is on Chandler Blvd and Desert Breeze Blvd,
which is half way between McClintock and Rural.  It is very close
to both the south 202 and 101 freeways.  Public transportation is
available into the late hours.
	<https://www.google.com/maps/place/251+Desert+Breeze+Blvd+W,+Chandler,+AZ+85226/@33.3076899,-111.9220921,17z/data=%214m5%213m4%211s0x872b06cdd50c43c7:0x7d3e9c66bdb7f8a2%218m2%213d33.3070191%214d-111.9193025?hl=en>

We will go for food to BJs at the Chandler Fashion Center Mall after the
meeting so we can chat with each other comfortably. Please feel free to
join us. Please come even if you aren't hungry, the food is not mandatory.

See the meeting information on our web site
<http://phxlinux.org/meetings/14-east-valley-meeting.html> for more
information.

See you there,
Brian Cluff