New Server for PLUG Server a Brand New Website

PLUG Announcements plug-announce at lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri Mar 18 00:07:40 MST 2011

We've had a new (to us) server donated to PLUG.  This is now in place
and with it we have a new website with a brand new unique template.

All these changes should give us a server that can spit out web pages
significantly faster than the old server and allow it to survive a
simple crawl from a search engine without being brought to it's knees.

We have also moved to a new CMS that should be much easier for people to
learn and therefore be easier for someone to donate their time to help
with the website.

Please look over the website and let me know if you see any glaring
problems with it.

Many thanks go to Alan Dayley who donated the previous server.  I can't
remember when exactly when it was put into service but we received 7+
years of service out of it.  And although it's still a perfectly
functional machine, it's only a PIII 800 with 512Mb of ram.  It just
couldn't keep up with the world of 2011 anymore.

Also many thanks go to der.hans for donating the new server, Jill R for
doing the initial load of the server.

And lastly, you can throw thanks or eggs whatever you feel appropriate
at me, Brian Cluff for the website redesign.  (Please try to be nice
though... throw the eggs softly)

Now go check it out.

Brian Cluff

PS If anyone would have use for the old PLUG webserver, it's a 2U rack
mount HP server with 4 18gig SCSI drives, hardware RAID controller in
addition to the specs listed previously.  It's yours free for the taking.