Re: rsync problem

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: rsync problem

On 2018-09-27 01:07, Michael wrote:
> yes

The way the problem is showing up makes me think it's the automounter
doing something dumb. 2 directories in /media/bmike1 , one named with
the filesystem label of the disk, one named that label+"1" is a classic
programmer solution to the problem of having two filesystems with the
same label present at the same time. Something somewhere forgot to
clean up the old mountpoint, the automounter thinks the device is still
there, and your backup fails because the device is mounted to a
mountpoint that's not what you expect.

So: Go in to whatever's doing your automounting, gnome-mount or
whatever, and umount all the removable media devices it thinks are
mounted. Unplug the disk. After that, there should be no directories
in /media/bmike1/ . If there are, rmdir them. Then plug the disk back
in. If you're lucky, the automounter will then put the disk on the
right mountpoint.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity