To swap or not to swap ;-) (was RE: To lvm or not to lvm)

Author: Carruth, Rusty
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: To swap or not to swap ;-) (was RE: To lvm or not to lvm)
So, in my limited experience with swapping, here's my conclusions:

1 - one big (that is to say, at least your ram size, and possibly 2x your ram size) swap PARTITION is needed if you want to hibernate or suspend, and I think it has to be the first one in your fstab (but I'm not sure on that)

2 - swap files work fine, but can't be used for suspend/hibernate.

3 - suspend/hibernate doesn't work with multiple partitions if (the first one I think) isn't big enough to hold everything, even if the total swap space is plenty big.

4 - not having swap seems to make some things not work too well, even when you're not overflowing in to swap. This one I don't have proof for, but it just felt like a no-swap system ran in to walls sooner.