Lecture on used computers: was Cheap new Linux laptop advice…

Author: Steve Litt
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Lecture on used computers: was Cheap new Linux laptop advice?
On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 12:36:05 -0700
Victor Odhner <> wrote:

> I think Somebody off-line mentioned Data Doctors so I dropped in
> there. The main guy at that store gave me a friendly lecture on using
> computers that someone else got rid of, like trade-in cars at a
> dealership.

Hi Victor,

What points did the guy make?

Did the guy's advice still make sense if the store allows the customer
to boot a System Rescue CD media on the computer under investigation,
to test out all its capabilities under Linux?

I'm interested because I occasionally buy used computers. The older the
computer, the less likely I'll have EFI, Secure Boot, or driver
compatibility issues.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2018 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28