Re: Cheap new Linux laptop advice?

Author: Steve Litt
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Cheap new Linux laptop advice?
On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 14:58:56 -0700
Victor Odhner <> wrote:

> His business (piano tuning) hangs on this.

The preceding sentence conflicts with the following:

> His cap is $400 but he would prefer closer to $200 . . .

In my opinion, as someone in business since 1982 and whose business
depended on a computer since 1987, you buy something well
constructed, expected to last 3 years without failure, with plenty of
muscle to do what your business needs now and what your business will
need as time goes on.

And don't forget an excellent backup system, and back up early and
often. I use a home-brew Rsync backup system pulled from a backup
server,that can write offsites to Blu-Ray, which I've tested for years
and found reliable when good media is bought and stored in shade and
climate control.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2018 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28