Re: NVMe: was Building a Linux Computer?

Author: Brian Cluff
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: NVMe: was Building a Linux Computer?
Yeah, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to put your home on an NVMe
and everything else on a slower device.
I've found that even a slow hard drive as /home doesn't really effect
your apparent speed of your machine, but you get your system onto a fast
drive and that makes a huge difference.

I personally setup all my machines on SSD's or NVMes for the system and
put home on large RAIDed drives for shear storage.  For the most part
everything I load is less than about 50 megs which will usually have sub
one second load times.  Stuff in your home directory also tends to be
loaded one file at a time so you don't need the extra seek speeds that
SSDs get you.

I have found a couple of exceptions ive found in my work flow... Having
a lot of fonts installed in my home directory seems to slow things down
in programs that want to make previews of all of them. I've also noticed
that extremely large video files like the ones my new camera makes can
benefit a bit from being on sold state storage, but it's not a deal
breaking amount of change in speed.
I think that I might soft link my personal fonts onto my SSD for that
speed boost (mostly in inkscape), although that does go against the
whole reason I installed them into my home directory instead of the system.

Brian Cluff