RE: NVMe: was Building a Linux Computer?

Author: Carruth, Rusty
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: RE: NVMe: was Building a Linux Computer?
Shoot, a partition of 60G is plenty for a full linux install (actually, I've got some with under 20G for / that work pretty well).

Boot from the SATA SSD and run / there, then put /home on the faster NVMe?

Oh, wait, we were trying to get boot as fast as possible. Oops, sorry :-)

So, then we're back to needing something with anything more than say 100MB (MEGA, not Giga) to put /boot on which starts you up and loads the smarts for talking to the NVMe drive.

Stick (but I'll have to warn you, Kingston EXPLICITLY disavows their DataTraveller sticks if used as a boot drive! No warranty! I've checked)
SSD (SATA, probably, since if it was NVMe you'd be back here again)
PATA drive (hey, I'm just saying ANYTHING will work here ;-)
DHCP remote booting (I'm sorry, I forget the name of that right now)

Just make sure there's enough space on /boot to hold 2 kernels, with a bit left over. On one of my machines here with a single kernel image its 43MB used as reported by du -skh, another had 45MB, one has 59M

Hey, Steve P just said:

> Now this is a potentially interesting idea. https://www.frys.com/product/9304070

And I went and looked - CUTE! But there's a question for anyone who goes to get one - can you have *2* SATA devices on that, one in the M.2 SATA 'slot' and one connected to the SATA port on the board???

Hey, that raid thing he found is cute too. Bet it's more than $20 though ;-) ah, yes, there we go - around $400.

Rusty