Re: NVMe: was Building a Linux Computer?

+ (text/html)
Author: Brian Cluff
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: NVMe: was Building a Linux Computer?
On an older system while you can add a PCI card to the system, in a lot
of cases you won't be able to boot off of it without motherboard
support.  You can get around that by keeping a spinning drive or a small
ssd or USB crive that actually boots the system and then immediately
hands over to the root partition on the NVMe letting you have your cake
and eat it too.

While a pure PCIe based card  is quite expensive, you can get a PCI card
that will give you an M.2 slot for around $13 and up.  The nice thing
about getting the adapter, other than saving some money, is that most
new motherboards are shipping with one or more NVMe m.2 slots, so you
will be able to carry your drive over to a new computer when you decide
to upgrade.

Brian Cluff