Re: Laptop for compiling.

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Laptop for compiling.
On 2018-05-15 08:04, wrote:
> Back in the day.... about 23 years ago I had a friend who wrote
> custom desktop software written in C. I think he told me his C program
> would take an hour or more to compile. Back then he was running an
> Intel CPU running at (I hope I get this right) 133MHz with maybe 4M of
> RAM. That was state of the art back then.
>
> I wondering what compile times might look like on modern hardware?

For that particular program, much faster. If it'd even compile. A
2.2.10 Linux kernel compiled in ~20 minutes on a P150 with 32M in 1999.
Curiously, it's about 19 minutes for "make clean && make bzImage
modules" on a 4.11 kernel on a 4-core 3.2Ghz machine with 8G, but then
the number of device drivers has gone way, way up in 19 years. More RAM
up to a point usually increases compilation speed the fastest.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity