Re: OT: Burger King Trolled Customers to Perfectly Explain N…

Author: Steve Litt
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT: Burger King Trolled Customers to Perfectly Explain Net Neutrality
On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 17:09:39 -0700
Michael Butash <> wrote:

> Interesting part to the whole net neutrality thing, companies are
> already working around the system regardless.

[snip]

> Your worst-case scenario is Comcast or other ill-intentioned MSP buys
> Cox, and imposes their established limitations.

Your worst-case scenario is that your new business, which provides an
innovative new internet service, competes with the inferior offerings
of comcast, spectrum, etc. So they throttle your service to the point of
unusability. You're a startup, so you can't afford the zillions to
bribe them into providing decent bandwidth.

Second worst case is that your provider, instead of building out their
infrastructure like they'd certainly do if they had more than 1 or 2
competitors in each neighborhood, they'll throttle everyone and then
sell less throttled Internet for twice the price. So you can choose
between a steep price increase, or stuttering and stumbling along with
something resembling 1998 dialup.

The free marketeers criticizing net neutrality forget that there's no
bandwidth marketplace. Most houses have a choice of 1 or 2 wired
internet providers, and I think 2 satellite providers with the long
latencies and upload through a telephone line. Many households are
lucky to have one alternative that can provide bandwidth, quickness
and reliability necessary for 2018. This is not a marketplace, it's an
oligopoly, and we all know what happens in oligopoly situations without
government imposed rules. It's not a free market if it's not a market
at all.

SteveT