Re: Post : INTEL’S SECURITY FLAW IS NO FLAW

Author: PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Post : INTEL’S SECURITY FLAW IS NO FLAW

While this article may not be factual, it is completely within the realm
of possibilities. This is a huge problem and there may be HUGE
consequences.

What I'd like to know is how these issues persisted for over 20 years
without detection. I assume Intel, AMD and the other chip manufactures
have some really smart people on staff. Given that, how did these
issues, that are basic to the CPU functionality, become built in without
detection (or functionality left out). How is it that some guy reading
the CPU manual discovered he could trick the CPU into spilling it's
cache so he can have access to other programs data. How is it that
under certain circumstances Kernel memory can be accessed giving away
the store.

I've read these issues may have persisted as far back as 1995. How does
that happen? How does an army of engineers miss this for 23 years? How
do you explain that?

That means lots of people came and went. There should have been lots of
QA... for 23 years.

How does this happen? Only two ways I can see 1) sloppy work, or 2)
intentionally.

We all know that every phone call and electronic message is stored in
Government warehouse(s). We have all heard that it is possible to
function our cellular phones remotely so others can spy on us. And there
is much more....

If this was done for the Gov. Maybe it was done for national security
-- not meant to be used against U.S.citizens. Maybe it was done (if
intentional) to give the Gov the ability to spy on our adversaries.
Maybe it started out innocently.

The bottom line is we have a HUGE problem that will take years to work
though. And we have a HUGE question of how did this persist for 23
years without detection?