Re: HTML5 as JS

Author: der.hans
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: HTML5 as JS
Am 04. Jan, 2018 schwätzte Andrew McRobb so:

moin moin Andrew,

cool, sounds like having umatrix or NoScript blocking javascript is still
sufficient.

Need to make sure <script> is blocked as well as the external JS.

https://www.w3schools.com/html/html_scripts.asp

ciao,

der.hans

> No, HTML5 is a markup at the end of the day. Comparing JS and HTML, is like
> comparing apples to oranges. All HTML5 does is include new tags to use when
> building a web app for you or search engines to use:
> https://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_intro.asp. It doesn't at all handle
> any logic like JS would, if that's what you are asking.
>
> Same can almost go for CSS. It's a description language, it doesn't handle
> any logic (except for select queries). However, CSS is starting to
> implement variables, but you can only use those for *attributes*. Not write
> a fully functional app with CSS alone.
>
> Andrew McRobb
> Full-time Software Developer
> Part-time Freelancer
> mcrobb.info
>
> On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 10:21 AM, der.hans <> wrote:
>
>> moin moin,
>>
>> I haven't paid much attention to HTML and CSS standards for many years.
>>
>> As I understand it, HTML5 is script-like to lesson use of javascript.
>>
>> Does that mean plain HTML ( no javascript ) is sufficient to exploit
>> browsers in light of #meltdown and #spectre ?
>>
>> https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2018/01/03/mitigations-
>> landing-new-class-timing-attack/
>>
>> https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/Home/chromium-security/ssca
>>
>> What about CSS?
>>
>> ciao,
>>
>> der.hans
>> --
>> # https://www.LuftHans.com https://www.PhxLinux.org
>> # As we enjoy great Advantages from the
>> # Inventions of others we should be glad of an
>> # Opportunity to serve others by any Invention of ours,
>> # and this we should do freely and generously.
>> # -- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790), on his refusal to patent his
>> inventions.

# https://www.LuftHans.com https://www.PhxLinux.org
# Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years.
# We grow old by deserting our ideals.
# Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm