Is it safe to dd two drives, if you want to simply transfer …

+ (text/html)
Author: Andrew McRobb
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Is it safe to dd two drives, if you want to simply transfer data?
Hey everyone,

So my gf's wip computer seems like it has a bad drive. (100% usage when not
doing anything, and Windows can't see anything wrong with it.) My gf's
newphie's old computer still has a good drive. I'm not sure if it's larger
or smaller then the bad one, but I was planning on using dd on my main
machine to simply copy all the data into the newer drive from the bad one,
plus also I don't have Win8 cd key laying around. (gf wants to play games
on it primarily)

Is there anything I need to watch out for when doing this? or should I be
using another tool for the job?

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew McRobb