Re: Need: 2GB PC 4200 DDR2 533MHz

Author: Steve Litt
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Need: 2GB PC 4200 DDR2 533MHz
On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 13:15:26 -0700
Nathan O'Brennan <> wrote:

> I'm trying to breathe some last breaths into an old computer my kids
> use. It has 4 slots which are currently occupied by 1 GB DIMMS. I
> searched a bunch of Dell forums and some people were able to get this
> system to upgrade to 8GB of ram while others could only get the 4GB
> to work. I don't want to waste any money here, so I'm hoping to find
> someone who has 2GB PC 4200 DIMMS they are willing to part with?

So true. Paying for four 2GB DIMMs when you don't even know if they'll
work is iffy.

In a future post about this you said you have a 1.8Ghz dual core
Intel. You've already switched to an SSD: Good! 1.8Ghz*2 plus SSD
should be fast enough to do most normal tasks, and truth be told, so
should 4GB, unless you're running VM guests on the computer.

My 800Mhz dualcore laptop with 2GB RAM works extremely well, except
when first loading a program. To achieve this kind of power to resource
ratio, I run only necessities, and only lightweight versions of
necessities. This is Void Linux, running the LXDE WM/DE, with Suckless
Tools' dmenu bolted on for even quicker productivity. Very few daemons:
sshd, and because several people log into it, I have lxdm and the dbus
daemon running also. Those can go away if everyone were to boot to CLI
and then run startx. I stay away from bloatware like Firefox,
Thunderbird, Nautilus, and anything KDE.

HTH,

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2017 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive