UPDATED: PLUG Meeting topics for Thursday November 9th

+ (text/html)
+ bmbjdaifmonadlci.png (image/png)
Author: PLUG Announcements
To: plug-announce
Subject: UPDATED: PLUG Meeting topics for Thursday November 9th

PLUG Meeting for October 12th

    Ed Nicholson will present "onBoarding for 4 free resources:
    Archive.org, MusicBrainz, OpenStreetMap and Wikipedia"
    &
    Stephen Partington: LVM Cache Round 2, now with some real use

    *For more info, Meeting time and location see:*

**
*http://phxlinux.org/index.php/meetings/14-east-valley-meeting.html**
*
** ****
*
Ed Nicholson: onBoarding for 4 free resources: Archive.org, MusicBrainz,
OpenStreetMap and Wikipedia*

This presentation is 4 mini-presentations, each about you getting set up
to contribute to free public digital assets.

onBoarding Archive.org - Get your library card to over 306 Billion web
pages and have a place to host your own digital artifacts. And then,
there is the WayBackMachine.

onBoarding MusicBrainz - Join the Open Misic Encyclopedia, the free and
open source for music information and identification. Add your knowledge
to MusicBrainz and have MusicBrainz annotate, update, and correct your
music collection's meta data.

onBoarding OpenStreetMap - A map of the world, and you can make it a map
of your world. join OSM and start mapping your roads, trails, cafés,
railway stations, etc... developer? want to use OSM data? visit
Mapbox.com for access and tools and community.

onBoarding Wikipedia - the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit, if
you sign up for a log-in! Have something you want to follow? Doing
research? Company or Organization data sheet? Sign up and get it into
Wikipedia.

*About Ed:*
I have been involved with Free Software and how people, organizations
and populations use, create and experience information. I enjoy The
Prescott National Forest as my "office" and The Valley of The Sun as a
home away from home. Personal systems run either Fedora, Project Atomic,
Android or OpenBSD.
*Stephen Partington: LVM Cache Round 2, now with some real use*.

Having Presented the LVMcache in using an SSD to speed up your system,
single disk, or array some time ago, this will be a follow up with the
real time experience and use of LVMcache and its application in day to
day use.

*About Stephen*:
20+ years of Technology, Almost as many of that with at least some level
of supporting or using Linux desktops and servers. Into gaming,
Technology, Mobile devices, Linux, Photography and Maybe soon Blacksmithing.

The meeting will start at 7pm at The Desert Breeze Substation.  People
start arriving as early as 6pm, so if you would like to help setup
and/or chat for a while, arrive a little early.
*Meeting Location*:
Desert Breeze Substation
251 North Desert Breeze Blvd West
Chandler, AZ 85226

The Desert Breeze Substation is on Chandler Blvd and Desert Breeze Blvd,
which is half way between McClintock and Rural.  It is very close to
both the south 202 and 101 freeways.  Public transportation is
available into the late hours.

For more information see the meeting information on our web site
<http://phxlinux.org/meetings/14-east-valley-meeting.html>

Contact PLUG:
Email: https://phxlinux.org/index.php/email-lists.html
IRC: https://phxlinux.org/index.php/chat.html
Google+: https://plus.google.com/+PhxlinuxOrg
Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/Phoenix-Linux-Users-Group/
    <https://www.google.com/maps/place/251+Desert+Breeze+Blvd+W,+Chandler,+AZ+85226/@33.3076899,-111.9220921,17z/data=%214m5%213m4%211s0x872b06cdd50c43c7:0x7d3e9c66bdb7f8a2%218m2%213d33.3070191%214d-111.9193025?hl=en>

We will go for food to BJs at the Chandler Fashion Center Mall after the
meeting so we can chat with each other comfortably. Please feel free to
join us. Please come even if you aren't hungry, the food is not mandatory.

See you there,
Brian Cluff