Re: I am so royaly @&%$ OFF at Debian that it's not even fun…

Author: Steve Litt
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: I am so royaly @&%$ OFF at Debian that it's not even funny...
On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 18:23:32 -0400
wrote:

> First the F$%#@RS shove in us F$#*!N@ systemd.
> Now I am trying to download a live CD to fix some issues and you
> *HAVE* to download the DAMN thing with a F$@#$!N@ GUI!!!! 8-(
>
> What's happening with Debian, where did it go wrong...
> Sigh...
> ET

Me too. I used to view Debian as a close-to-the-metal DIY friendly
distro that didn't make you jump thru hoops like Arch's 40 step manual
chroot install. And I used to view Debian as the ultimate ethical
distro: I trusted them.

Then something went wrong with them. I don't know if the method they
used to choose systemd was the cause or the effect, but look here to
see the kangaroo court decision process (warning: Big download):

In the insurrection that followed, Debian lost a lot of DIY-style users
and a few devs to distros like Devuan, Void, *too, *BSD and the like.
If you spend a few days on the Debian-User mailing list you see that
most of what's left of their user community are dweebs who should
really be using Ubuntu.

I view the Devuan project as the successor to Debian, with the
development chops and the ethics. I view the current Debian as the rump
state of the former Debian (still big in numbers but sick and almost
certain to decline).

I myself went to Void Linux, and have been very happy. I recommend
Devuan for my friends who don't want to get as down and dirty as I do
with Void.

It's a shame about Debian, but all good things come to an end.

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2017 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
Troubleshooting Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr