Re: OT: Best cell phone plan for light use?

+ (text/html)
Author: Stephen Partington
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: Best cell phone plan for light use?
Ting is a good idea.

On Aug 17, 2017 8:05 PM, "Ed" <> wrote:

Michael, your small phone dreams may become reality - if the Jelly
phone ships - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jellyphone/jelly-the-
smallest-4g-smartphone
also
if IF you can get VoIP to work (sorry Apple profit centers) your phone
bill could be $35-50/year - not including WiFi - or free w/
Google.Voice/Hangouts

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 7:04 PM, Michael Butash <> wrote:
> I read the thread, and was going to recommend Fi, but the phone lock

sucks.
> I tend to use an unlocked phone, as I tend to like small phones, and all I
> can get are tablet-sized phones anymore. Fi not supporting general

phones,
> and their smallest being the Pixel at 5.anything inches beyond my caring.
>
> I use StraightTalk @ 45/mo, where I pay monthly still because I'm lazy to
> change to a yearly plan. I've been with them 2.some years, it's att on

the
> back end (not an incentive as always the first to drop their shorts at a
> government request), but all in all is really good service, imho. It

never
> *not* works, and only when I get into a 20 story building in phoenix do I
> ever see an issue.
>
> I think about shopping it some, $10/mo for voice/text/data sounds riotous,
> and if I just have to enable something via an app or api call ultimately,
> I'd just look at hacking around it to enable. When last I told Verizon to
> fsck themselves and shopped it, $40 was the cheapest I could find for a
> decent, usable service with straighttalk, or 45 month-to-month that I

do. I
> don't know how low att resells their mvno services per user, as really
> straighttalk pays them, and the margin is their profit, but ultimately I
> look at costs knowing a few things about telecomm industries, ~40 still
> seems to be the bar for something not shady, at least last time I cared.
>
> I too am interested in what others here use. And looking up this
> AirVoiceWireless. Assume everyone cheap is shady and probably hacked them
> for better data service if janky, probably submitting the how to doing so
> themselves somewhere on the intertubes.
>
> -mb
>
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 6:10 PM, AZ Pete <> wrote:
>>
>> I've been using Google Fi and have been very happy with their service (my
>> wife and son also use it).
>>
>> $20/mo unlimited talk & text
>> $10/mo for 1GB of data. Unused data is credited back the next month.
>> Since I use such a small amount of data, I always get a credit of $8-9
>> each month and my bill averages around $25 each month (including all the
>> taxes).
>> Downside is you can only use Nexus phones (but I've found them very

good).