RE: looking for a dmarc expert

Author: Rusty Ramser
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: RE: looking for a dmarc expert
Well, you can guard against too stringent settings by doing a few things. (I'm not sure you could actually misconfigure DMARC, unless you do something like enter the wrong email address to receive reports.)

You basically want to start running DMARC in monitor mode, which means it doesn't actually take any action on emails (like quarantining or rejecting). And you can have either individual reports or a summary aggregate report (recommended) sent to you so you can see who's having problems with your SPF/DKIM records, who's trying to send on your behalf, etc.

A monitor mode DMARC record *might* look something like this:
"v=DMARC1;p=none;rua=mailto:postmaster@phpcoderusa.com"

The "p=" part is what tells DMARC the policy to enact; "none" equates to monitor mode. And the "rua=" is the email address to send aggregate reports to. Once you have the aggregate reports, all you have to do is decipher the XML reports Google, Hotmail, and others send you.

Cheers.