Re: How to make wireless stay connected? Solved. Thanks!

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: How to make wireless stay connected? Solved. Thanks!
On 2017-08-01 08:28, wrote:
> Who should I write to in order to politely express my
> frustrations about all of the many other changes and
> "features" that I wish they would allow users to choose
> whether or not to "opt in" to instead of making them
> default and forcing them on us?

This is everywhere now, and getting worse. I think it's because
programmers and designers can decide how things should be, and what they
envision is not necessarily what users need.[0] MacOS and iOS were
particularly bad about this, and the problem has spread to the open
source world.

[snip]
> with Mint 18, I cannot get back to the
> nice, clean, simple, straightforward list that Mint 17 had:
> http://www.upquick.com/temp/launcher.jpg

I am not sure this is available in KDE 5.

> Also, Mint 18 now has a really goofy looking "start" button
> on the bottom left of the panel [...] I wish there was a way
> I could change that

This, at least, should be doable. Right-click the launcher icon, go to
"application launcher settings", there should be an "icon" button
showing the bad launcher icon. Click that button and pick out a better
one from the KDE standard "pick an icon" dialog box. At least this is
how it works on Gentoo's KDE 5.

> Then there is the annoying gold cashew [...]
> Why do they insist on forcing these things on us?

Because the people who think there's One True Way Of Doing Things are
over-represented in the design and software development?

[0] Back in 2009 or so, they had a bunch of users come in to the
building and try to use a prototype set of web pages that some people
had built. We took notes on what worked, what didn't, what the users
liked, and what they hated. Nothing really *happened* because of this,
but it showed somebody was trying to do the right thing.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity