Note Amazon is building up a low power network across all their devices. That one creeps me out.

On Tue, Apr 9, 2024, 3:48 AM Rusty Carruth via PLUG-discuss <plug-discuss@lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:
However, if you make it obvious that you are looking at the thing, the
perpetrator might decide to take it back.  Put up your own video
doorbell, and maybe even watch the street as well so you can tie the
perp to their vehicle.

Triangulation is 'fun' - find some local neighborhood hams (amateur
radio people) who have done T-hunting (transmitter hunting) and they can
give you info, and maybe even have some equipment and time/inclination
to help.

If they are using YOUR wifi, I'd freak out even more than you already
have, since either they've got some serious wifi hacking skills, your
wifi is set up very poorly, or they got inside your house.

Have you filed a police report about the missing items?  I assume they
weren't interested in the tech issue....  Who should be? Probably not
FBI or any other three-letter-government agency ;-)

On the detection angle, I've been thinking that using a SDR USB dongle
and GnuRadio or similar, you should be able to hack together a
relatively useful spectrum analyzer. I've played with an SDR dongle and
GnuRadio and had no luck yet...

I also just did a search and found a $49 spectrum analyzer and a $899
spectrum analyzer, should you wish to go buy one.  "One of these days" I
hope to get me a working spectrum analyzer...  ("But today is not that
day" ;-)