My biggest issues are graphics, compositing in the DE's (cinnamon mostly), browsers using 80gb of memory, and libreoffice going crazy occasionally.  I get a weird lag start forming after a few weeks of uptime that is maddening I can't figure out.  Again I blame compositing, usually a restart of desktop via whatever login manager you use will help, but only a full reboot makes better.  I suspect video drivers underlying as a problem.

I don't think I can do what I do daily under windoze.  I'm using usually 70-80gb of ram on this, a full-time use DE, 10-12 vm's at a time from various vendors and os's, and all the normal business use I do in consulting or whatever all year.

-mb

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 12:45 PM Carruth, Rusty <Rusty.Carruth@smartm.com> wrote:

Sounds like you’re the perfect … um.. guinea pig? J  You’ve got years of experience with no swap, now we’ll all be (or at least, I’m) very interested in what you find out.

Rusty

From: PLUG-discuss [mailto:plug-discuss-bounces@lists.phxlinux.org] On Behalf Of Michael Butash
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2018 11:07 AM
To: PLUG Phoenix List
Subject: Re: To swap or not to swap ;-) (was RE: To lvm or not to lvm)

So interestingly enough I was looking at my swap from this convo, and surprisingly noticed that I'd never added any swap to this system!  I built the swap lvm slice, but never added it to the fstab, don't remember if on-purpose or not.  This system has 128gb of ram, so not that I notice really, but might explain why I might see some weird lagging at times.  I usually blame (crap) compositing...

I suppose I've been using this pc for a couple years now without swap, so it *is* doable (with a lot of ram), but I think I might enable it and see if things are any better with than without swap.