I use webtatic to get PHP7, and nginx is a good solid upgrade in speed. It is missing a couple of features that Apache has, but not ones that I have ever really needed.
Phil W

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 2:00 PM, kevin <kevin@fries-biro.com> wrote:
7 is a HUGE performance improvement over 5, and we are glad we made the conversion.  Also, use opcache, it made a huge difference for us.

Kevin

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note8, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: Stephen Partington <cryptworks@gmail.com>
Date: 3/20/18 2:54 PM (GMT-07:00)
To: Main PLUG discussion list <plug-discuss@lists.phxlinux.org>
Subject: Re: Distros for Web Serving

I have been really happy with php7 lately, especially giving it a touch more ram than I used to.

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 12:52 PM, Andrew McRobb <andrewmcrobb@gmail.com> wrote:
PHP 7 is almost 2x faster and I use MariaDB and CentOS for work and production. No complaints here except that some of the repos are a bit dated, but there are 100 tutorials on upgrading to PHP 7, so I wont burn time writing one. If you also want to speed things up, I highly recommend using Docker however.

Creates a sense of security between applications/server.
Skip a LOT of setup when Docker containers have lot of environment variables you can set to do things for you.

If you like the idea of Docker, but want something more 'native' and mature. FreeBSD is also good w/ it's jails. That's just my two cents.

Andrew McRobb
Full-time Software Developer
Part-time Freelancer

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 12:12 PM, Nathan O'Brennan <plugaz@codezilla.xyz> wrote:

I've been using RedHat/Centos for 20 years now and generally don't look much else for my server needs. I have a production server that is seriously straining under the load and it appears to be time to upgrade to a larger server. But I'm wondering about the benefits of php7 and maybe a newer mariadb than what currently ships on Centos 7.

Call me an old dog, but I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea of using Ubuntu server and learning all the new stuff. I'm a developer who also is tasked with managing all the servers and just not sure I'll have the time to learn new tricks.

Maybe I'm just looking for a confidence boost, but any other devops guys here using linux web serving and looking at some of the newer technologies?

I appreciate your thoughts and insights.

Nathan

A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you from rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze button.

Stephen